OU morning news: Spring game sets attendance record

• 0
OU Daily Newsletter
Shed Euwins Memorial

A memorial featuring photos of Shed Euwins and his family surrounded by a broken cross and a shattered vase near the Elm Avenue and Lindsey Street intersection days after the fatal shooting April 9. 

Witness, Norman Police Department detail events of fatal shooting near Lindsey, Elm

As cop cars surrounded the Elm Avenue and Lindsey Street intersection on April 9, a witness began trying to help Shed Euwins, who had just been shot. Euwins approached the driver, who was driving a red Camaro with his son in the backseat, causing a disturbance that ended in Euwins being shot, according to the police report.

Mark Dixon, who was two cars behind the red Camaro as he was driving home from his grandson’s soccer game, said he saw Euwins and heard two loud bangs shortly after he went into the road. Dixon then grabbed a towel and pulled his car into the center of the road. He said he began to use the towel to put pressure on the gunshot wound.

Other news:

• OU to hold university-wide, college-specific ceremonies honoring 2022 graduates

Brent Venables

OU football head coach Brent Venables during the spring game on April 23.

Brent Venables’ spring game debut launches Sooner Nation’s march toward SEC with foundation of love, trust, honor, respect

Brent Venables and every player suited up on Oklahoma’s roster locked arms and marched. Literally, the members of the 128th team in OU history strode into the south end zone of Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium moments before Saturday’s spring game kicked off. Metaphorically, the program began its first public strides toward the Southeastern Conference, where Venables will lead a united new era of Sooners football. From March 21, the day before spring practices began, all the way to the last practice on April 21, Venables emphasized the spring game and its importance to the foundation he’s building in his first season as head coach.

Other sports:

OU football:

• Baker Mayfield’s ‘indescribable’ return at OU football’s spring game sees him ‘immortalized in bronze forever’

• ‘He has not changed’: Baker Mayfield graces Tarahumaras, serves with Meals on Wheels in nostalgic return to Norman

• How Dillon Gabriel led Sooners on field, in locker room during spring game before Baker Mayfield, other Heisman winners

• Red team defeats White team 21-17 in Sooners' 1st spring game of Brent Venables era

• Jovantae Barnes shines in debut, Theo Wease reemerges — 3 takeaways from Sooners’ spring game

• Twitter reacts to Brent Venables' energy in spring game, Baker Mayfield's Heisman Trophy statue

• WATCH Sooners coach Brent Venables address crowd, former players before spring game

• WATCH highlights of Brent Venables' 1st spring game with Sooners

• WATCH Baker Mayfield's Heisman statue unveiling during halftime of Sooners spring game

OU softball:

• Sooners defeat Iowa State 6-4 in game 1 of Friday double-header

• No. 1 Sooners run-rule Iowa State 9-0 in 5 innings in 2nd game of doubleheader

• No. 1 Sooners run-rule Iowa State 9-0 in 3rd game to complete sweep

• Jayda Coleman succeeding as leadoff hitter — 3 takeaways from Sooners' doubleheader sweep of Iowa State

OU baseball:

• Sooners outlast Kansas 7-6 in 14 innings on road

• Sooners dominate Kansas 14-2 behind Blake Robertson's 5 hits, 4 RBIs

• Sooners crush Kansas 24-4 to complete road series sweep

OU women's golf:

• Sooners finish 6th at Big 12 championship; Hannah Screen ties for 8th individually

OU athletics:

• Barry Switzer launches new NIL collective '1Oklahoma' for Sooners football, men's basketball, softball

View the full gallery here.

Other photo galleries:

• Baker Mayfield is honored at spring game as Heisman statue is unveiled

• Kyler Murray, CeeDee Lamb and more OU football alumni in attendance at 2022 spring game

• OU softball shuts out Iowa State 9-0 in game 2 of Friday double-header

• Colony House plays concert on South Oval hosted by Campus Activities Council

calendar header.jpg

Monday, April 25

Men's golf vs. Big 12 Stroke Play Championship — Trinity, TX

Tuesday, April 26

6:30 p.m.: Baseball @ Oral Roberts — Tulsa, OK

Wednesday, April 27

Thursday, April 28

6 p.m.: Softball @ Kansas City — Kansas City, MO

Friday, April 29

6 p.m.: Softball @ Kansas — Lawrence, KS

6:30 p.m.: Baseball vs. Kansas State

8 p.m.: Oklahoma Festival Ballet — More information

Saturday, April 30

2 p.m.: Softball @ Kansas — Lawrence, KS

2 p.m.: Baseball vs. Kansas State

Rowing @ Tulsa — Tulsa, OK

Track and field @ Alumni Master — College Station, TX

If you have an event you'd like to have featured, submit it here.

The OU Daily

The independent student voice of the University of Oklahoma since 1916

Makenna is the Engagement editor of the OU Daily. Responsible for social media scheduling and posts, the daily and weekly newsletters, and the OU Daily Tik Tok.