Best of Norman 2022: Cafes

• 1
Yellow Dog Coffee Comppany

Yellow Dog Coffee Company on Sept. 26.

Yellow Dog Coffee Company

Only a short car or bike ride away from campus on the corner of South Porter Avenue and East Eufaula Street, there is a little cafe called Yellow Dog Coffee Company. 

Established in February 2018, Yellow Dog has grown in charm and size. It moved from its first location to a space previously occupied by a muffler shop, University Muffler, a motorcycle repair shop, School House Cycle, and a gym, The Gym Collective.

Inspired by their own yellow dog, Rob Wilson, former Ward 5 Norman City Councilmember Sereta Wilson and former Ward 1 Councilmember Kate Bierman are co-owners and founders of Annie’s Rescue Foundation. A percentage of profits made at the coffee house go to the rescue, located at 1043 N. University Blvd., to get animals the help and services they need.

The building is not the only part of the cafe that has history. All the furniture is second hand from Facebook Marketplace, making it a special place filled with many memories despite its recent opening.

Owners Rob, Sereta and Bierman have worked to create a cozy and welcoming environment that is suited for studying or grabbing coffee with friends. Whatever the day might hold, it is a bright and friendly place to stop by and slow down.

Yellow Dog welcomes all humans and their pets as well. It is not uncommon to see owners and pets enjoying their afternoons with a latte and a biscuit. 

Another quality of this cafe that makes it stand out is its freshly roasted and responsibly sourced coffee. Yellow Dog aims to work with farms that provide livable income for those picking the coffee. Rob said he’s traveled the world in search of different methods and sources of coffee making, and he brought back what he learned to provide a well-rounded brew.

“It’s a unique process, and I love digging into the chemistry of it all,” Wilson said.

The coffee served in the cafe is made fresh every morning. One of Yellow Dog’s more popular selections is a speciality by Rob. The “Rob’s Way Latte” is a blend of oatmilk, lavender and honey. It’s a sweet option that can be enjoyed hot or iced during any time of year.

Aside from coffee, Yellow Dog offers a variety of baked goods. Its most popular item is its scone. As renovations for the kitchen wrap up, patrons can also look forward to new menu options to come, including some French pastries and a new selection of sandwiches. 

Yellow Dog has been involved with the art community in Norman, which adds to the contemporary culture of the shop. Every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., patrons take their earbuds out to enjoy live music and good company.

In September 2022, Yellow Dog hosted the Norman Film Festival’s Q&A, which featured local actors and directors. The company plans on hosting a once-a-month indie film viewing soon. More information about events is available on its Instagram, @yellowdogcoffee. 

As summer comes to an end and many students trade sunny lawns for cozy cafes, be sure to keep Yellow Dog in mind for a warm cup of coffee and a bewitching atmosphere perfect for the cool weather to come. It is open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends.

Gray Owl Coffee

Anyone looking for a quiet and peaceful place to enjoy their mornings and afternoons can find it at Gray Owl Coffee.

Tucked behind Norman’s bustling East Main Street, Gray Owl is a place of art and leisure. With its extensive menu of baked goods and coffee options, it is easy to lose track of time in this chill and cozy environment.

Not only does this shop serve great coffee, but it also features events including art walks and book clubs that meet every second and fourth Wednesday of the month at 6 p.m.

Gray Owl is open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day of the week.

More information about events happening at Gray Owl can be found on its Instagram page, @grayowlcoffee. 

Second Wind Coffee 

Second Wind Coffeehouse is known to many OU students as the living room on campus corner. And it certainly lives up to its title. 

As a nonprofit organization established in 2008, Second Wind has become an iconic study spot to many students known for its homey decor, welcoming staff and phenomenal coffee. Because of its nonprofit status, there are no set prices for its offerings. Second Wind has recommended donations, making high-quality coffee accessible to everyone. Just set the price that works for you, however much you would like to donate to the nonprofit.

This is a great spot that has live music and local art. There is a friendly atmosphere that permanently hangs in the air at this local and charming coffee house. Second Wind truly transports its patrons to a different place and time with its vintage decor and specialty coffee.  

More information is available at Second Wind’s Instagram page, @2ndwindcoffee.

Second Wind is open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

Readers' choice

1. Not Your Average Joe

2. Gray Owl

3. Second Wind

Best of Norman Cover Photo