OU football: Seth McGowan pleads not guilty, posts $100,000 bond in robbery case; Trejan Bridges yet to appear

• 0
Seth McGowan

Then-freshman running back Seth McGowan during the game against Texas Tech on Oct. 31.

Former Oklahoma running back Seth McGowan pleaded not guilty this week on counts of conjoint robbery, assault and battery and conspiracy with former Sooner receiver Trejan Bridges, and has posted a $100,000 bond, according to an arraignment document obtained by The Daily. 

According to the document, McGowan appeared in person at the Cleveland County District Courthouse with his counsel, Todd Kernal, Monday morning, with the bond being posted that afternoon. McGowan, who was slated to be in custody of his counsel or bondsman pending the posting of the bond, next has a preliminary hearing conference scheduled for 9 a.m. June 29. 

The arraignment summary order also states that McGowan is prohibited from possessing weapons and dangerous controlled substances, and will have “pretrial release and GPS monitoring upon release from treatment.” 

Reached by The Daily on Wednesday afternoon, Kernal declined to comment beyond confirming he represents McGowan. Kernal, a criminal defense attorney with Laird Hammons Laird in Oklahoma City, has a long history of defending clients against drug, sex and general felony charges, per his bio with the firm.

As of midday May 12, Bridges has yet to appear in court, according to the Oklahoma State Courts Network. McGowan’s arraignment document states his case will transfer to Cleveland County District Judge Thad Balkman with his co-defendant. 

Police responded to an alleged robbery at the Crimson Park apartments on April 15, where Bridges and McGowan were later identified by the victim. Bridges allegedly threatened to kill the victim for refusing to sell marijuana to McGowan. According to felony arrest warrants filed on May 7, jewelry, marijuana and high-dollar shoes were among items stolen from the victim. 

Bridges, who was in the process of being evicted from his apartment at The Cottages of Norman for violating his lease agreement, possessed a firearm that was found on the premises by the Norman Police Department, following a search on April 16.

OU coach Lincoln Riley announced McGowan and Bridges were dismissed from the team in a May 6 press conference. McGowan had entered the NCAA Transfer Portal on April 29. 

McGowan, a former four-star recruit, rushed for 370 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman, including 201 receiving yards. Bridges, a former five-star prospect who missed all but two games last season due to a drug suspension, caught two passes for 19 yards in the 2020 Big 12 Championship game against Iowa State. 

Austin Curtright is a journalism sophomore and The Daily's senior sports reporter. He covers OU football and has previously covered OU men's basketball, softball and soccer.