Lindsey Bridge opens with walk-across ceremony

The long awaited new Lindsey Bridge is now open to the public. A large crowd gathered Friday morning to witness the ribbon cutting and walk across the bridge.

The ceremony started with a short speech from Mayor Lynne Miller.

"I have goosebumps, I want to cry," Miller said. "This has been such a long, long project and coming into being it took so, so many people and we’re going to have this big, new, beautiful bridge-probably the most beautiful bridge in Oklahoma." 

The ribbon was cut and the crowd was allowed to walk from one end of the bridge to the next.

The bridge opening has been long awaited since construction made it hard on many businesses along Lindsey.

"I know how difficult it has been for our businesses, particularly along Lindsey and I know how difficult it has been for our residents," Miller said. "I know because we hear every hour every day in the city how frustrated everybody is, but this is going to be worth it." 

Not only was the bridge closing difficult for businesses, but for families too.

John Bryan said that the closed bridge provided problems when he had to drop his kids off at school.

“It was kind of a hassle really,” Bryan said.

With the bridge opening, Norman residents will no longer have to take alternate routes to get where they want to go along Lindsey Street.