breaking featured

Ed Kelley named interim dean of Gaylord College

• 0
Ed Kelley

Ed Kelley has been named interim dean of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication. Kelley previously served as the college's director of experiential learning and was the editor of The Oklahoman.

Former editor of The Oklahoman and OU journalism alum Ed Kelley has been named the interim dean of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication, according to a press release.

Joe Foote, the current dean of Gaylord, will step down from the position in August.

Kelley will serve as interim dean pending the approval of the OU Board of Regents and a permanent successor to Foote will be named after a selection process, according to the press release.

Kelley currently serves as the Director of Experiential Learning, a position he began on May 26, and previously worked for The Oklahoman for 36 years, being made editor in 2003.

“The University is extremely fortunate that Ed Kelley is willing to return to his alma mater to serve as Dean of Journalism and Mass Communications,” said OU president David Boren, “An outstanding journalist, Kelley has for years demonstrated his care and concern for the College and its students. Like Joe Foote, he will be a student-oriented Dean.”

In 1996, Kelley received the Editor of the Year award from the National Press Foundation for directing The Oklahoman’s coverage of the Oklahoma City bombing and was inducted into the Oklahoma journalism hall of fame in 2003.