OU Regent Kirk Humphreys responds to backlash over remarks about homosexuality

• 1
Kirk Humphreys

OU Board of Regents member Kirk Humphreys has responded to backlash against his comments on homosexuality, saying he has a "moral stance" against homosexuality, but never meant to equate it to pedophilia, according to KFOR's Jessica Bruno.

Humphreys came under fire Dec. 10 after an appearance on KFOR's Flashpoint during which he said “if (homosexuality) is OK, then it’s OK for everybody and quite frankly it’s OK for men to sleep with little boys if it’s OK.” Humphreys also called homosexuality "wrong" in the broadcast.

The regent's comments on KFOR have drawn reactions from leaders across the OU community, including a statement from President David Boren denouncing Humphreys remarks and expressing support for OU's LGBTQ community. The university's Faculty Senate also condemned Humphreys during its Dec. 11 meeting, issuing  a resolution calling for his removal.

OU's Queer Student Association released an open letter with hundreds of supporters calling for Humpreys' immediate resignation from the Board of Regents.

OU's Board of Regents will convene for a regularly scheduled meeting at 3:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Students and university community members plan to protest Humphreys' remarks and call for his resignation an hour before the meeting.