Gov. Kevin Stitt announces businessman and OU alum Gary Pierson to Board of Regents

• 0
Stitt (copy) (copy)

Governor Kevin Stitt at a press conference at the Oklahoma City Capitol March 1.

Gov. Kevin Stitt announced his choice to fill the remaining spot on the OU Board of Regents.

Stitt chose attorney and businessman Gary Pierson, an OU alum who currently serves as president of The Oklahoma Publishing Company and CEO of the Broadmoor-Sea Island Company, according to a press release.

“Gary is an accomplished Oklahoma attorney and businessman and a proud OU alum who will bring his professional expertise to the table to support the university’s goals of academic excellence and student success,” Stitt said in the release.

This is Stitt’s second appointment to the OU Board of Regents, after appointing Eric Stevenson March 1. The two vacancies were left following the retirement of former chairman Clay Bennett and the death of former regent Bill Burgess.

Pierson also served as general counsel for the publishing company from 2002-2003 after his tenure as vice-president of McAfee & Taft, Oklahoma's largest law firm, according to a press release.

“I’m grateful and humbled by the confidence Governor Stitt has shown in me by this appointment,” Pierson said. “While there are some near term issues that need to be resolved at OU, the future remains quite bright and I look forward to working with the other Regents and President Gallogly in making sure that those opportunities are seized.”

Editor-in-Chief

Jordan Miller is a journalism and political science senior serving as The Daily's Editor-in-Chief. Previously she served as The Daily's news managing editor, news editor, assistant visual editor and was an SGA beat reporter.