What was the world like the last time OU and Ohio State played?

• 1

On Sept. 17, 2016, Oklahoma will host the Ohio State Buckeyes for the first time since 1983.

Thirty-three years have passed since the Buckeyes last visited Norman, and a lot has changed since then. It was the year Cabbage Patch dolls, Swatches and the McDonald’s Chicken McNugget became available nationwide.

In 1983, not only did the Sooners and Buckeyes go head to head in Norman under head coach Barry Switzer, but Bob Stoops graduated from the University of Iowa with a B.A. in marketing.

The Washington Redskins defeated the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII and the Baltimore Orioles defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 4 games to 1 in the World Series.

The world’s population was estimated to be 4.72 billion, about half of what it is today. China alone held 1 billion of the world’s population.

History was made in 1983 when Sally Ride became the first American woman to go to space. 

Gas prices also dropped below $1 in '83. 

Ronald Reagan held the White House and Barack Obama was a graduate of the 1983 class at Columbia University.

Our 2016 political candidates were both making their names known in 1983. Hillary Clinton, then the first lady of Arkansas, was pushing for education reform in her state, and Donald Trump unveiled the opening of the Trump Tower.

1983 was a year for technology. Motorola released the DynaTAC 8000x, the first commercial mobile phone. It took a full 10 hours to recharge and cost almost $4,000. Microsoft released Microsoft Word to the public under the name Multi-tool Word for the Xenix system.

The entertainment industry was also booming in 1983. Michael Jackson dominated the music scene, introducing the moonwalk and holding top spots on the music charts with “Billie Jean” and “Beat It." "Star Wars: Return of the Jedi" was the number one movie of the year. Many other memorable movies were released in ’83, as well, including "The Outsiders," "Flashdance" and "National Lampoon's Vacation."

Carrie Underwood, Jonah Hill, Mila Kunis and Chris Hemsworth were all born in 1983. Dennis Wilson of The Beach Boys and Carolyn Jones, best known for her role as Morticia Addams on "The Addams Family," died in 1983.

The world has come a long way since 1983. It now has iPhones and a more extensive McDonald’s menu. Star Wars movies are still being created today, and The Chainsmokers have replaced Michael Jackson in the top spots on the music charts.

OU and Ohio State kick off at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 17 at the Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, a rematch 33 years in the making. 

For OU vs. Ohio State weekend, we’re devoting our whole staff to coverage of the game and the events surrounding it. For all you need to know: oudaily.com/ohiostate.