OU football recruiting tracker: Sooners land 2022 3-star defensive tackle Cedric Roberts

• 0
OU Helmet

An OU helmet sitting on the field before the Bedlam game against Oklahoma State on Nov. 30, 2019.

Three-star defensive tackle Cedric Roberts committed to Oklahoma on Wednesday, solidifying the Sooners' 2022 recruiting class as Rivals' sixth best in the country.

OU’s 2021 class ranked No. 13 in the country per Rivals, and over 35 top prospects from the 2022 and 2023 classes attended OU’s “ChampU BBQ” recruiting event — hosted by head coach Lincoln Riley and the rest of the team’s coaching staff — on June 19. 

As the year progresses, follow along here with The Daily’s tracker of the Sooners’ latest commitments for their 2022 recruiting class, which currently holds 16 total commitments.

All rankings, stars and photos are provided by Rivals.com.

July 28, 2021: Cedric Roberts, defensive tackle

School: Hendrickson High School (Pflugerville, Texas)

Stars: 3

Hudl: WATCH 

About: Roberts is the eighth 2022 commit to select Oklahoma in July alone. The 6-foot-4, 280 pounder originally committed to Baylor in February, but decommitted from the Bears on June 1. Roberts also held offers from Boston College, Colorado, BYU and five others.

July 17, 2021: Kaden Helms, tight end

School: West High School (Bellevue, Nebraska)

Stars: 3

Hudl: WATCH

About: Helms is the second tight end commit in the 2022 class, joining four-star Jason Llewellyn. Helms is the No. 19 ranked tight end in the country, and the fourth-ranked player in Nebraska. The 6-foot-6 receiver chose OU over the likes of Arizona State, Auburn and Florida State. 

July 7, 2021: Jake Taylor, offensive tackle

School: Bishop Gorman High School (Las Vegas, Nevada)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: The third offensive lineman commit in the 2022 class, Taylor is ranked as the No. 6 recruit in Nevada and the No. 38 offensive tackle in the nation. He chose OU over Notre Dame and Alabama live on CBS Sports HQ.

July 4, 2021: Derrick Moore, defensive end

School: St. Frances High School (Baltimore, MD)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: The first defensive line commit for OU's 2022 class, Moore is ranked as the No. 3 prospect in Maryland. He choose Oklahoma over Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State and 18 others. 

July 4, 2021: Xavion Brice, defensive back

School: Juan Seguin High School (Arlington, Texas)

Stars: 3

Hudl: WATCH

About: The second wide receiver turned defensive back commit for OU on July 4, Brice previously committed to Kansas in November 2020. After decommitting in June, the 6-foot-2 170 pounder chose the Sooners over Missouri, Texas and four others.

July 4, 2021: Robert Spears-Jennings, defensive back

School: Broken Arrow High School (Broken Arrow, OK)

Stars: 3

Hudl: WATCH

About: Spears-Jennings is a three-star, 6-foot-2 defensive back. He's the 10th commit in the Sooners' 2022 class. Spears-Jennings was once a wide receiver recruit, but was offered to play defensive back by OU defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, according to SoonerScoop. 

July 3, 2021: Jacob Sexton, offensive tackle

School: Deer Creek High School (Edmond, OK)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH 

About: Sexton is ranked as the No. 4 recruit in the state of Oklahoma. The in-state addition to Riley's 2022 class held other offers from Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame and 17 others. He's now the second 2022 offensive line prospect to commit to the Sooners.

June 22, 2021: Gavin Sawchuk, running back

School: Valor Christian High School (Highlands Ranch, Colorado)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: Sawchuk is 5-foot-11, 175 pounds and the No. 3 ranked running back in the country and No. 52 player nationally. He chose OU over the likes of Southern California, Ohio State and Alabama, joining Raleek Brown as running back commits in the 2022 class. 

April 30, 2021: Kip Lewis, outside linebacker

School: Carthage High School (Carthage, Texas)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: Lewis is 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, and the No. 21 ranked outside linebacker in the country. He chose OU over the likes of Louisiana State, Notre Dame and Southern California.

April 30, 2021: Jayden Rowe, cornerback

School: Union High School (Tulsa, OK)

Stars: 3

Hudl: WATCH

About: The second in-state commit for the Sooners’ 2022 class, Rowe chose Oklahoma over Arkansas, Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma State and eight others. The 6-foot-3, 210 pound prospect is the No. 8 recruit in the state.

March 2, 2021: Demetrius Hunter, offensive line

School: West Orange-Stark High School (Orange, Texas)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: Nicknamed “Pancake” during his time with the Mustangs, Hunter ranks as the No. 2 center in Texas. The 6-foot-3, 306 pound prospect chose Oklahoma over Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Houston. Hunter also saw action at defensive tackle in his high school career.

Feb. 19, 2021: Jason Llewellyn, tight end

School: Aledo High School (Aledo, Texas)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: At 6-foot-5, 243 pounds, Llewellyn is the No. 13 tight end in Texas. He held offers from Texas, Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor and Michigan.

Feb. 5, 2021: Raleek Brown, running back

School: Mater Dei High School (Santa Ana, CA)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: The No. 1 running back in California, Brown is 5-foot-9 and held Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Oregon and USC. He was selected for NBC’s 2022 All-American Bowl on Jan. 4, which features the country’s top 100 high school prospects.

Oct. 9, 2020: Luther Burden, wide receiver 

School: East St. Louis (St. Louis, IL)

Stars: 5

Hudl: WATCH

About: The lone five-star of Oklahoma’s 2022 recruiting class, Burden is the No. 1 overall recruit in Illinois. The 6-foot-2 prospect held offers from Alabama, Florida, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas and 35 others.  

Jan. 15, 2020: Kobie McKinzie, inside linebacker

School: Cooper High School (Lubbock, Texas)

Stars: 4

Hudl: WATCH

About: Listed at 6-foot-3, 225 pounds, McKinzie is the No. 19 recruit in Texas. The Lubbock native committed to Texas Tech in February 2019, but reopened his recruitment that August. He’s the No. 3 linebacker in Texas.

Austin Curtright is a journalism junior and one of The Daily's assistant sports editors. He covers OU football and has previously covered OU men's basketball, softball and soccer.

Chandler Engelbrecht is a journalism senior and the Daily's assistant sports editor. He currently covers OU football and has previously covered OU men's basketball, volleyball and men's gymnastics.

Sports Editor

Mason Young is the OU Daily's sports editor and covers OU football. He was previously assistant sports editor and has been a beat writer covering OU women's gym, OU wrestling and former Sooners in the NFL.