Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art showcases new ‘All Aboard Family’ event

• 0
Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art

Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art on Nov. 5. 

Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art will unveil a new holiday tradition starting in December.

The premiering event, “All Aboard Family Night” will feature a model train, a hot cookie and cocoa bar, crafts, banjo players and portraits with Santa Claus on Dec. 13.

The theme for the museum’s event is Route 66 in the 1960s and was inspired by the museum’s current exhibition, “Ticket to Ride,” which is about the history of train travel in the American West said Kaylee Kain, museum director of communication.

"Mark White, our director, wanted to wrap up our year and the 'Ticket to Ride' exhibition with something really fun and engaging that we can also recreate every year,” Kain said. “It was perfect to go with trains as a way to kind of combine those two aspects.”  

Some of the sights featured in the train’s layout are Yukon’s Flour Mill, Arcadia’s round barn, the blue whale of Catoosa and the Frankoma pottery plant in Sapulpa, according to a press release.

The event is family-friendly and free to the public.

“Since it’ll be at the end of finals week we’ll have plenty of cookies and hot chocolate for students,” Kain said.

All Aboard Family Night will be from 6 to 8 p.m., Dec. 13, in the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, located at 555 Elm Ave. The official train lighting ceremony will take place at 7 p.m., Dec. 13.

Additional information is available on the museum’s website.