Stoops makes coaching changes official

• 0
Stoops

OU football coach Bob Stoops attends the signing day press conference in the press room Wednesday afternoon. Feb 4.

Oklahoma Football made its coaching changes official Monday, announcing the hiring of a new defensive backs coach and a new receivers coach.

Kerry Cooks will take over coaching the defensive backs, a position similar to ones he held as an assistant at Notre Dame for the last five years. Dennis Simmons will come on as the outside receivers coach, a role he held at Washington State University for the last three years.

Other coaching shifts announced Monday include co-defensive coordinator Mike Stoops adding outside linebackers to his coaching duties, Cale Gundy sliding from his previous position as running backs coach to a new role as inside receivers coach and Jay Boulware will take over coaching the running backs and fullbacks. Gundy will also join Mike Stoops as an assistant head coach.

“I feel organizing our coaches in this manner will best utilize the talents of both the new and returning members of our staff,” coach Bob Stoops said in a press release. “Each assistant coach has clearly defined roles, responsibilities and expectations.  We are all excited to get back on the practice field with our team for the start of spring football on March 7.”