Oklahoma football: Sooners prepared for everyone's 'best shot'

• 0
Mayfield throws the ball

Senior quarterback Baker Mayfield throws a deep pass in the game against Baylor Sept. 23.

After a close game against winless Baylor, No. 3 Oklahoma (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) isn't looking past Iowa State (2-2, 0-1 Big 12).

The Sooners are coming off a 49-41 victory over the Bears, a game that was much closer than expected. Now, after a bye week, Oklahoma isn't going to take any opponents lightly.

"You can't let a team slip up on you or creep up on you," senior quarterback Baker Mayfield said. "I think a lot of that comes from the top down."

Oklahoma hasn't had a "slip up" in over a year, winning 14 games straight and not losing a conference game since 2015. The secret to their success has been taking the season game-by-game.

"Taking it one week at a time," Mayfield said. "I think a singular focus and not worrying about--yeah we have big aspirations of playoffs and national titles, but to get there you have to take it one week at a time."

However, last season Iowa State played the Sooners close in Ames, holding OU to only 34 points — their lowest score total of the season in the Big 12. This season, despite the Cyclones already losing two games, the Sooners believe they don't need any more motivation for the game. 

"They're a very physical team. No, we don't need any motivation from the outside, it comes from within," Mayfield said. "They've matched up with us physically very well the past couple years. That's something you like going up against."

Iowa State won't be the best team Oklahoma faces this season, but coach Lincoln Riley knows how important it is for his team to continue to improve, no matter the opponent. 

"You've got to have guys that have leadership and guys that are hungry enough that don't care about the four games before, they just care about us getting better and us playing at our very best," Riley said. "We haven't put our very best out there yet."

The Sooners will more than likely be favored the rest of the season, and they know they have a target on their back.

"We're going to get their best shot," Mayfield said "We're going to get everybody's best shot."

Mayfield and Oklahoma will face Iowa State Saturday morning at 11:00 a.m. CT at Oklahoma Memorial stadium. 

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.