Oklahoma basketball: Sooners fall to Oklahoma State in Big 12 Tournament, 71-60

• 0
Trae Young

Freshman guard Trae Young jumps as he shoots the ball March 7. The Sooners played Oklahoma State in their first game of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City, Missouri.

Oklahoma (18-13, 8-11 Big 12) fell to Oklahoma State (19-13, 9-10 Big 12) Wednesday night in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament.

Splitting the season series, the Sooners and Cowboys picked up right where they left off in January going back and forth early. Oklahoma State eventually pulled away in the first leading by as many as 11 and taking nine-point lead into halftime.

The Sooners found themselves down 15 early in the second half, but came roaring back to cut the Oklahoma State lead to just four with eight minutes remaining. However, Oklahoma State would go on a late 6-0 run with under three minutes to play, beating Oklahoma 71-60.

Freshman guard Trae Young was once again phenomenal for the Sooners, recording 22 points, five assists and three rebounds. As a team, Oklahoma was poor in multiple areas, going 9-of-27 from behind the 3-point line and getting out-rebounded 53-27.

Oklahoma will now await its destiny and see if it will play in the NCAA tournament. The selection show will air on TBS at 5 p.m. CT Sunday. 

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.