alert top story

YG must omit n-word from songs during OU concert

• 4
YG

YG performs in Philadelphia August 31, 2014. YG will perform at Must Stay Weekend this weekend at McCasland Field House.

YG must omit the use of the n-word in every song he performs when he takes the stage at OU on Saturday, according to the concert contract. 

In the contract, obtained by The Daily through an Open Records request, the sixth paragraph of the addendum to agreement reads that YG "will omit any racial epithets including but not limited to (the) word 'nigger' or any version thereof." 

Furthermore, before the sentence quoted above, the contract also reads that "all songs performed during the entertainment presentation will be versions of the songs that are suitable for radio play, i.e. "clean" version, i.e. terrestrial radio edit version." 

If YG fails to follow these clauses, compensation for the performance will be denied and will be a "material breach of the Agreement," according to the contract.

One of the rapper's biggest hits is the song "My N****," which is certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and repeats the n-word nine times in each chorus. The edited version of the song played on the radio changes the title of the song to "My Hitta." 

The move comes after OU expelled two students upon the discovery of a video of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity members singing a racist chant on a date party bus that emerged in March. 

Mitch Blackman of ICM Partners, the talent and literary agency who is represented on the addendum by the illegible signature of a representative, declined to answer Daily questions specifically regarding the clause, and only said that the university created the contract.

The Daily attempted to contact Kristen Partridge, the director of Student Life at OU, but she could not be reached for comment after multiple calls to the Student Life office between 11:19 a.m. and 4:29 p.m. Multiple Daily staff members also reached out to Partridge regarding the contract clause via email, but received no response by 5:52 p.m. 

OU will give YG a guaranteed $40,000 immediately following the show as payment, according to the contract. The show will begin at 8 p.m. Saturday in McCasland Field House.

View the rest of the rapper's contract for the concert below: