What we know: OU expected to name former business executive, major university donor James Gallogly next president, sources say

• 0
Jim Gallogly

Jim Gallogly speaks during the Gallogly Hall groundbreaking ceremony April 6 in Devon Energy Hall.

OU is expected to name former business executive James Gallogly the university’s next president, several administrative and faculty sources have confirmed to The Daily.

Gallogly, 65, is a former ConocoPhillips executive vice president and former CEO at chemical and refining company LyondellBasell Industries. Several sources from within OU’s faculty and administration have told The Daily that Gallogly, a 1977 OU law graduate and namesake of OU’s Gallogly College of Engineering, will be the university’s 14th president.

OU’s Board of Regents will officially appoint the next president at a 7:30 a.m. March 26 meeting, then will introduce its choice to the public through various announcements beginning at 10 a.m. at Evans Hall. When asked to confirm or deny Gallogly’s selection, OU press secretary Matt Epting said he would check with the Board of Regents, then responded in a March 23 statement to The Daily to say that as the board will not meet until Monday, “there is no name to confirm or deny until that time.”

Current OU President David Boren will retire June 30 contingent on the selection of a successor. The Board of Regents completed seven candidate interviews March 10 after months of meetings and focus groups from the search committee and search firm hired to find candidates.  

Gallogly has made significant gifts to OU, including a $30 million donation in partnership with Peggy and Charles Stephenson that allowed OU to expand its engineering department. The upcoming Gallogly Hall, which will house the Gallogly College of Engineering’s new biomedical engineering department, is named for Gallogly and his wife.

Gallogly has also made gifts to the University of Colorado, where he received his bachelor of arts in 1974 and where he serves on the board of directors of the University of Colorado Foundation.

Gallogly was CEO of LyondellBasell Industries from 2009 to his 2015 retirement and made $106 million in the position in 2014. He has also served in executive positions at ConocoPhillips, Phillips Petroleum Company and Chevron Phillips, where he was CEO.