Trump’s ‘racist comments’: Reps. Tom Cole, Kendra Horn release statements after passage of resolution condemning tweets

• 0
Tom Cole (copy)

Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole sits in his office for an interview Oct. 16, 2017.

Oklahoma's U.S. House representatives issued statements following the Tuesday passage of a house resolution condemning President Donald Trump's Sunday tweets as "racist comments."

House Resolution 489 was introduced in the house after Trump tweeted that some "progressive Democratic congresswomen" should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime-infested places from which they came."

The tweets were reportedly referring to Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-NY, Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., Ilhan Omar, D-Minn. and Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass. The four congresswomen are U.S. citizens, and three of the four were born in the United States. All are also women of color.

According to the resolution, "American patriotism is defined not by race or ethnicity but by devotion to the Constitutional ideals of equality, liberty, inclusion, and democracy and by service to our communities and struggle for the common good."

The resolution adds that "immigrants and their descendants have made America stronger," and that Trump's comments have "legitimized and increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color."

In a Tuesday evening statement, Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., said although it was "certainly appropriate" to criticize Trump for his comments, the house resolution was a "political double standard." Cole voted against the resolution, which only four Republicans voted for.

“For anyone who follows debate on the House floor each week, it is known that many Democrats regularly speak in an equally offensive manner toward the president," Cole said in the statement.

Cole said in the statement that the house resolution wrongfully singled out the president, while "ignoring the shameful rhetoric on the other side." He added calling Trump a racist was "wrong."

Rep. Kendra Horn, D-Okla., also released a statement Tuesday after the passage of House Resolution 489. Horn voted for the resolution.

"Growing up, my parents taught me the importance of the golden rule. Of treating everyone, no matter who they are, with dignity and respect," Horn said in the statement. "That’s what today’s vote was about. I’m troubled on many levels by the tone and tenor of our discourse. And I’m troubled by the remarks of the President, which are below the dignity of the office he holds."

In the statement, Horn said the "toxic back and forth" has kept progress from being made, and that it was time to "hold each other to a higher standard."

Oklahoma Republican Party Chairman David McLain released a statement July 16 following Horn's comments.

"As Oklahomans, we are deeply proud of our nation, our flag, and our president who continues to deliver for Oklahoma families every day," McLain said in the statement.

McLain said Trump is "right to question (the congresswomen's) patriotism," and that the congresswomen "continually work to undermine the rule of law and the constitution."