State senator says Oklahoma teachers might participate in another walkout if bill passes

• 0
Expendable

Sarah Hoss, a Rose State college professor, holds a sign up during the teacher walkout April 2.

An Oklahoma state senator said it is possible that many Oklahoma teachers will participate in another walkout if one bill passes in the House of Representatives.

House Bill 2621 was authored by Rep. Jon Echols, R-Oklahoma City, and allows people to claim tax credits for donating scholarship money to low-income students for private schools or for making donations to local public schools.

“This bill is threatening to public school teachers because it distracts attention and $30 million in funds away from the public school funding formula that is $740 million short to compete with regional averages,” State Sen. Mary Boren, D-Norman, said.

Boren said she is unsure about when the bill will be heard, but hopes that if it is, teachers will find a different way to get their message across.

“I truly hope another walkout will not happen,” Boren said. “I believe professional educators have found more effective ways to make their expectations clear. But, I’m not privy to teacher leaders' decisions regarding another walkout.”

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

Senior news reporter

Bailey Lewis is a journalism junior and a senior news reporter at the Daily.