OU Tri Delta chapter confirms member involvement in racist video, plans to investigate

• 3
Tri Delta Sorority

OU's Tri Delta sorority building on July 9, 2018.

The OU student who originally posted a video on Snapchat depicting a girl in blackface and using a racial slur was a member of the Tri Delta sorority, according to a statement from the OU Tri Delta chapter president.

London Moore, OU Tri Delta president, said in her statement that the sorority “deeply regrets” the actions of its member. Sources have told the The Daily that the student who filmed the video is Tri Delta member Francie Ford.

The Daily has reached out to Ford via Facebook, email and her cell phone and had not heard from her at the time of publication.

The student in blackface was not a member of the sorority, a Tri Delta spokesperson said in an email to The Daily. The Daily has confirmed the individual who used blackface as Olivia Urban. 

“We are diligently working with the University, our volunteers and our Executive Office staff to investigate the incident and take appropriate action to hold our member accountable,” Moore said in the statement. “We understand the concerns that this raises within the campus community and beyond and will prioritize our efforts to live kind and lead kind as Tri Delta women and as part of the larger OU community.”

The office of University Community also released a statement earlier in the day saying it will be following up with both students in the video.

Update: This post was updated at 9:50 p.m. to reflect the identity of the individual using blackface. 

Jana Allen is a journalism junior and the Daily's enterprise reporter. She was formerly a news reporter, and held several editor positions on the news desk before transitioning to enterprise.