OU study center in Rio to close, Arezzo to see serious reductions in cuts to College of International Studies

• 1
Dean Suzette Grillot 2

Dean Suzette Grillot of the College of International Studies speaks at the Academics United: No to Visa and Immigration Ban protest Feb. 9, 2017, in the Unity Garden.

OU President James Gallogly approved actions that will close OU’s study center in Rio de Janeiro, make significant cuts to the campus in Arezzo, Italy, and reduce international travel fellowships, according to an email written by OU Provost Kyle Harper.

The email, which was sent Jan. 14 from Harper to recently terminated dean of the College of International Studies Suzette Grillot, details the cuts Gallogly intends to make to the college. Grillot, who was frequently critical of the Board of Regents and particularly the process that selected Gallogly as OU president, was terminated from her position as dean Jan. 18.

According to Harper’s email, as a result of the reductions, OU’s study campus in Rio will be closed. Harper wrote this would save roughly $646,000. The cuts also discontinue the faculty-in-residence programs for OU’s campus in Arezzo, Italy, as well as its campus in Puebla, Mexico, saving a total of roughly $208,000.

Additionally, Harper wrote the Arezzo campus will cut costs at the Arezzo campus by reducing food service, cleaning and student workers as well as the graduate resident director, saving a total of $82,000.

The cuts also reduce funding for the Presidential International Travel Fellowship by $275,000, and the Global Engagement Fellowship by $125,000. Both fellowships were created by former OU President David Boren.

The cuts also reduce printing and promotional services for the dean’s office, reassigns two currently vacant positions within the college and discontinues the Diplomacy Lab within the college — a program designed to give students international policy making experience.

It is not clear when these changes will be made. The Daily will continue to update coverage as more information becomes available.