OU President James Gallogly to retire after less than one year in office

• 4
James Gallogly

OU President James Gallogly attends the Board of Regents meeting at the OU Armory March 13.

OU President James Gallogly will retire as OU's 14th president less than one year after taking office.

In an OU press release, the university announced Gallogly would retire and work with the regents to plan a smooth transition into the next presidency. The statement did not say when Gallogly intends to end his term. Gallogly initially took office on July 2, 2018.

The press release included statements from both Gallogly and OU Board of Regents Chair Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes. In his statement, Gallogly said the university's financial status was not clear to him when he took the job.

"As I began preparing the university budget for a June presentation, it became obvious that the Norman campus had been operating at significant losses for the last couple of years, had grown its debt, and had limited cash reserves," Gallogly said.

Gallogly’s statement also cited a “false narrative” that he had been attempting to diminish former OU President David Boren’s legacy, which Gallogly said is now affecting an ongoing investigation into Boren.

Rainbolt-Forbes said the board respected Gallogly’s decision, but did not lay out a timeline for selecting Gallogly’s successor.

“The work he had to do and the decisions he had to make were not always easy, but he made them with great professionalism and personal courage, always with a focus on the best interests of OU,” Rainbolt-Forbes said. “Our university is in a better place today because of Jim.”

Gallogly’s short time in office was focused mainly on financial issues as well as his goal of doubling research at OU. In Gallogly’s pursuit of lowering the university’s debt, there were numerous layoffs throughout the university during his term.

Gallogly faced criticism from the OU community earlier this semester for his handling of several racist incidents and his administration’s response to them.

Nick Hazelrigg is a political science junior and The Daily's news managing editor. Previously he served as The Daily's summer 2018 editor-in-chief and was a news editor covering OU's presidential search.