Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin repeals state hotel-motel tax, signs 2 new revenue bills

• 3
Mary Fallin

Wednesday, July 11, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin signed a set of medical marijuana regulations adopted by the Oklahoma State Board of Health. The regulations ban the use of smokable marijuana and require a pharmacist at every pot clinic.

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin repealed the state’s $5 hotel-motel room tax while approving two new revenue measures April 10.

The $5 hotel-motel tax was removed from HB 1010xx, the historic revenue package signed March 29 that would generate more than $400 million to fund teacher raises.

“The revenue package that funded the teacher pay raises would not have passed the Senate with the required supermajority, or three-fourths support, had a bipartisan agreement not been struck to repeal the hotel/motel tax,” Fallin said in a press release.

In an April 2 interview with The Daily, Rep. Scott Inman said the hotel-motel tax would have brought in an estimated $50 million for the state’s revenue.

The failure to include the $5 hotel-motel tax has drawn criticism from teachers during the walkout. Alicia Priest, president of Oklahoma Education Association, called on the governor to veto the hotel-motel tax repeal.

Fallin also signed two other revenue measures, HB 3375 and HB 1019xx, according to the press release.

HB 3375 allows tribal casinos to have roulette and dice games, which have been illegal since 2004. HB 1019xx, commonly known as the Amazon Tax, will require third-party online retailers to collect and remit sales tax to the state, according to the press release.

“This shows again that education is a priority with legislative leaders and me,” Fallin said in the press release.

News Reporter

Olan Field is a journalism junior at the University of Oklahoma and a news reporter for the OU Daily.