Former OU President David Boren statue, named items to remain following his resignation, pending OSBI investigation

• 2
Boren Statue (copy)

The David Boren statue in front of the Oklahoma Memorial Union June 12. Former OU President Emeritus David L. Boren resigned from the position as well as any teaching positions June 12.

The university has no plans to remove the name or likeness of former OU President David Boren from campus at this time, a university spokesperson confirmed to The Daily Wednesday.

That decision may be subject to change pending the results of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Boren, or potential grand jury proceedings, the spokesperson said. The Oklahoman reported grand jury proceedings related to Boren were expected to occur next week.

The spokesperson also said Boren's resignation letter would not be released. Leslie Rainbolt-Forbes, chair of the OU Board of Regents, said in a statement Wednesday that Boren's letter "terminates the Presidential Transition Agreement and relinquishes his affiliation with the University of Oklahoma."

While Rainbolt-Forbes said in the statement that Boren's resignation effectively brings to a close the "Title IX issue" between Boren and others, the university spokesperson said that any potential investigation into allegations against former OU administrator Tripp Hall would remain a Title IX investigation that cannot be commented on.

Tags