Transgender woman to perform principal role in Tulsa Opera production

• 0
Lucia Lucas

Lucia Lucas, a baritone performer, will perform at Tulsa Opera's production of "Don Giovanni."

Tulsa Opera’s 71st season will feature a transgender woman in the principal role of an operatic production.

Lucia Lucas, a baritone performer, will play the titular role of "Don Giovanni." According to NBC, Lucas' performance as Don Giovanni will mark the first time a known trans person will play the principal role of an operatic production in the U.S.

Tulsa Opera will return to a format of three fully staged productions for its 2018-2019 season, which is titled “An Era of Inclusion.” “Don Giovanni” will conclude the opera's season on May 3 and 5, 2019.

Uruguayan maestro Andrés Cladera will conduct "Don Giovanni" along with director Denni Sayers, according to Opera Wire. Each of Tulsa Opera's productions this season will be directed by a Latin American maestro.

This will be Lucas’ U.S. debut. She has previously worked in Europe.

The opera will be performed in Italian, with English subtitles projected above the stage, according to the Tulsa Opera's website. The opera, written by Mozart, tells the story of a scoundrel whose intentions are eventually unmasked.

Tickets are not yet available for the production.