OU football: Sooners adding J.R. Sandlin as director of player personnel and recruiting

• 0
Helmets

OU helmets before the game against Texas Tech on Oct. 30.

Jacksonville State's J.R. Sandlin announced via Twitter on Thursday that he'll be joining Oklahoma's staff as director of player personnel and recruiting.

Sandlin has been with the Gamecocks the last eight seasons, working as senior executive head coach, recruiting coordinator and tight ends coach. Before that, had served stints as a Notre Dame recruiting analyst, director of recruiting at Tennessee and as a recruiting staffer at Alabama.

Sandlin also boasts coaching experience at a pair of high schools and at Central Florida. From 2005-7 he played tight end for the Knights before transitioning to a recruiting specialist role from 2008-9.

Sandlin helped Jacksonville State win the Ohio Valley conference six of the last eight seasons and was also part of consecutive national championships at Alabama in 2011 and 2012. His arrival adds another experienced assistant to new head coach Brent Venables' staff.

Sports editor

Mason Young is The Daily's sports editor and covers OU football. He was previously assistant sports editor and has covered OU women's gym, wrestling and former Sooners in the NFL. Email Mason at masyoung@ou.edu and follow him on Twitter @Mason_Young_0