Women's basketball torches Quinnipiac in first round win

• 0
Kaylon Williams

Junior forward Kaylon Williams attempts a layup during the game against Lamar on Nov. 18 at Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooners beat the Cardinals 100-73.

How the Sooners won: Oklahoma raced out to a 13-3 lead and kept their double-digit advantage from the 17:06 mark in the first half to the final buzzer. OU torched the Quinnipiac Bobcats from the perimeter, and the Sooners made well above half of their 72 shot attempts from the field. Quinnipiac knocked down 12 three-point shots and scored 84 points on Oklahoma’s defense. However, OU ran away with a 111-84 win over the MAAC champions in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Key Stat: 27 — Oklahoma recorded 27 assists in its win over Quinnipiac. The Bobcats’ defense was not able to slow down OU’s ball movement, and the Sooners made a concerted effort to find the best look possible. Oklahoma’s offense had a flow to it that hasn’t been seen for a few weeks now, and OU’s ability to pass the ball and set up its shooters made the difference.

Key Sooner: Gabbi Ortiz — You could give this to a few players, but in Ortiz’s NCAA tournament debut, she put up 16 points, three assists and two steals. Ortiz was 4-of-6 from the perimeter, and she ignited Oklahoma’s fiery offense today.

What It Means: Oklahoma put up 111 points and its leading scorer, Peyton Little, only accounted for five of those points. It was a complete team effort and OU looked as ready as they have all season to play a game. They executed from start to finish, and they shut down every Quinnipiac run with a momentum-shifting triple to sustain its large lead throughout the night.

What’s Next for the Sooners: Oklahoma will face the winner of No. 4 seed Stanford and No. 13 seed Cal State Northridge. A game time has yet to be set for the second round game, but the Sooners will return to action Monday for a chance to earn a spot in the Sweet 16 and to play in Oklahoma City.

Joe Buettner is a journalism junior and contributing reporter for the Daily.