Women's basketball to take on TCU Saturday

Women's basketball

Freshman guard Gioya Carter goes up for the layup against Kansas on Saturday, Feb. 22 at Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooners beat the Jayhawks 64-61. 

Fresh off an upset of No. 4 Texas, Oklahoma women’s basketball (10-5, 4-0 Big 12) will look to keep the ball rolling Saturday against Texas Christian in Fort Worth.

After an emotional win, Sooners coach Sherri Coale is not worried the Horned Frogs are a “trap opponent.”

“It’s pretty easy to prepare for them when you see how well they’ve been playing,” she said. “They’re going to get our full attention. They’ve been very good at home. It will be easy to focused.”

By the numbers

16.6 – TCU guard Zahna Medley averages a team-high 16.6 points per game. By comparison, Oklahoma’s leading scorer is Sharane Campbell-Olds with 11.1 points. Selected to the preseason All-Big 12 team, Medley gives the Horned Frogs a spark from beyond the three-point line. Her 2.5 threes a game are second in the conference.

11 – Oklahoma’s bench outscored Texas’ 11-2 in the first half of the victory and the Sooners will need a similar performance from the reserves to best TCU.

“I love our bench and how involved they are regardless of who is in at what point in time,” Coale said.

Leading the bench is guard Nicole Kornet. The role-playing junior, although fifth on the team in points per game, gets to the free throw line often and makes it count, making 75 percent of her attempts.

5 – The Sooners will attempt to extend their undefeated start to conference play with a fifth win Saturday. Tied with Baylor atop the conference standings, the team started the season just 5-5 but rebounded in late November and December. Oklahoma has reached the post-season 15 straight years and could be looking at a 16th if it continues this level of play.

Key players

Oklahoma – Maddie Manning: The sophomore guard put up a career-high 14 points and converted all but two of her 14 free throws against Texas. A similar spark off the bench against TCU could be the difference between 5-0 and 4-1.

TCU – Chelsea Prince: Although just 5-11, the senior forward leads the Horned Frogs with 89 rebounds on the season, including 27 on the offensive end of the court. Second-chance points have been key to TCU’s success all season. Furthermore, Prince makes it difficult for opponents to shoot in the first place. Her 10 blocks are tied for first on the team.

Oklahoma and TCU are scheduled to tip off at 1:00 p.m. Saturday at the Daniel Meyer Coliseum in Fort Worth, Texas.

Joe Buettner is a journalism junior and contributing reporter for the Daily.