top story

Women's basketball scores big win over No. 4 Texas

• 0
Women's basketball

Freshman guard Gioya Carter goes up for the layup against Kansas on Saturday, Feb. 22 at Lloyd Noble Center. The Sooners beat the Jayhawks 64-61. 

A rocking Lloyd Noble Center witnessed a major upset and a colossal Red River hoops win Wednesday night.

OU fell to its first two ranked opponents of the season, but the Oklahoma women were all smiles after conquering No. 4 Texas on their home floor.

“It was a really big win for our program,” head coach Sherri Coale said. “Texas was a very talented basketball team, but we have to make sure we control our own destiny and I thought we competed with great toughness.”

Texas, now with a 13-2 record, has not beaten Oklahoma in Norman since Feb. 3, 2010. The Sooners made sure that didn’t change. They improved their win streak to five games and remain undefeated in conference play.

Both teams struggled to find rhythm offensively, and sloppy play plagued both the Sooners and Longhorns throughout the first half.

The teams combined for a total of 20 turnovers and 22 fouls in the game’s first 20 minutes.

Regardless of an ugly start and falling behind by as many eight, Oklahoma managed to rally and seize a three-point lead before halftime thanks to a few late Texas miscues that led to Sooner buckets.

OU stormed out to multiple double-digit leads in the second half and put all the pressure on the Longhorns. Texas could not overcome a stingy Sooners squad, and finished the night shooting just 26 percent from the field and hitting only 4 of 23 three-point attempts.

“We’re in a funk right now and struggling offensively,” Texas head coach Karen Aston said. “This is the second game in a row I felt our team let a game slip away in the first half. We didn’t value the possessions down the stretch of the first half.”

Aston mentioned in her post-game presser that Texas is finding it difficult to find an identity. Despite beating three top 10 teams this season, the Longhorns are off to a 2-2 start in conference play.

The Sooners benefited from a puzzled Longhorns team that committed 18 turnovers and failed to utilize its bench as well as Oklahoma did.

Sophomore reserve Maddie Manning had a team high 14 points. However, it was Peyton Little who recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 boards, with a majority of her points coming from the free throw line.

“I was surprised when they said I had ten rebounds,” Little said. “I couldn’t really get a shot to fall tonight. I tried to do whatever it took for us to win a game, whether that was getting a steal or a rebound.”

Oklahoma will put its undefeated Big 12 record on the line Saturday at 1 p.m. in Fort Worth, Texas against an 11-4 TCU Horned Frogs team. OU will then return home Jan. 19 for a 3:30 p.m. matinee against in-state rivals Oklahoma State.

Joe Buettner is a journalism junior and contributing reporter for the Daily.