OU wrestling: Sooners down Lock Haven 24-15, Kent State 35-3 on 1st day of Virginia Duals

• 0
Anthony Mantanona

Redshirt senior 174 pound wrestler Anthony Mantanona during the match against No. 4 Oklahoma State on Dec. 12.

No. 18 Oklahoma (2-2, 2-1 Big 12) bounced back from its deflating Dec. 12 loss to Bedlam rival No. 4 Oklahoma State with two wins on the first day of the Virginia Duals on Friday in Hampton, Virginia.

OU defeated both Lock Haven and Kent State on Friday. The Sooners and Bald Eagles began the day in a dogfight, trading blows before a massive pin in the 174-pound class by redshirt senior Anthony Mantanona blew the door open for the Sooners en route to a 24-15 dual victory.

In the Sooners’ second match of the day, nine of 10 OU wrestlers secured victories, leading the Sooners to a 35-3 win over the Golden Flashes.

No. 23 Joey Prata struggled in Oklahoma’s first match of the day, losing 8-3 to Lock Haven’s Anthony Noto, who is ranked No. 27 nationally in the 125-pound class. The Sooners’ redshirt senior was able to secure a victory in OU’s second match of the day, beating Lock Haven’s Jake Ferri 6-4.

Making his season debut for the Sooners, redshirt freshman Caleb Tanner was pinned in the second round by LHU’s Gable Strickland. Freshman Gabe Vidlak replaced Tanner in the 133-pound class for the Sooners’ dual against Kent State. The Oregon State transfer won his collegiate debut with a 7-0 victory over Kent State’s Brandon Fenton.

In the 141-pound class, redshirt junior Jacob Butler kicked off the day with a convincing 14-4 win over Lock Haven’s Tyler Dilley. Butler did not find the same success in his second match, losing 3-2 to KSU’s Louis Newell.

Dom Demas, a two-time Big 12 champion in the 141-pound class, earned his first-career win in the 149-pound class with a 15-4 triumph over Connor Eck of Lock Haven. The No. 16-ranked redshirt senior put his skills on display again in his match against the Golden Flashes’ Kody Komara, notching a 6-3 victory.

No. 16-ranked redshirt senior Justin Thomas landed two wins in the 157-pound class on Friday, taking down the Bald Eagles’ Ben Barton 4-1 and pinning Kent State’s Enrigue Munguia.

Graduate Joe Grello and junior Troy Mantanona each competed in a 165-pound match for the Sooners. Grello fell to Lock Haven’s Austin Eyler, 5-3. Mantanona fared better, beating Kent State’s Brady Chrisman 7-6.

Troy Mantanona’s older brother, Anthony Mantanona dominated both of his Friday matches. The redshirt senior pinned both of his opponents in the 174-pound class.

No. 21-ranked junior Darrien Roberts recorded a 3-1 victory against LHU’s Colin Fegley before being relieved by  redshirt senior Keegan Moore. Moore added another Sooner victory in the 184-pound class, defeating KSU’s Colin McCracken 17-7.

No. 11-ranked Jake Woodley won the 75th match of his career Friday afternoon, shutting out Lock Haven’s Parker McCleallan 9-0 in the 197-pound class. The redshirt senior gained his second win of the day with a 12-4 rout of Kent State’s Tyler Bates.

In the heavyweight division, Piedmont native Josh Heindselman went 1-1. The redshirt sophomore lost his first match of the day to Lock Haven's Isaac Reed 3-1, but bounced back against Kent State’s Jacob Cover, winning 3-1.

After a successful start to the event, Oklahoma will look to close out the Virginia Duals with two more wins on Saturday afternoon. OU will face Virginia at 3 p.m. before taking on Maryland at 5 p.m.