OU women's basketball: Sherri Coale announces departure of two assistant coaches

• 0
Sherri Coale 2

Head Coach Sheri Coale answers questions at the Sooners media day Oct. 29.

Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale announced the departure of two assistant coaches Tuesday.

Assistant coaches Pam DeCosta and Chad Thrailkill will be stepping away from the team to seek new opportunities away from basketball, according to a press release by Oklahoma.

“It has been an honor to see this program be built from the ground up and to have been a part of such a long period of sustained success,” Decosta said in the press release. “I’m grateful for having the chance to work with many great players during my time along with our staff and administration at OU. I look forward to seeking new opportunities outside the game of basketball.”

DeCosta served as an assistant coach at Oklahoma from 1996-98 and then returned to the Sooners before the 2011-12 season.

“Pam helped lay the foundation for our run of 19 consecutive NCAA appearances by recruiting a program-defining player like Stacey Dales,” Coale said in the press release.

Thrailkill joined the Sooner staff during the 2002-03 season as the director of operations and was promoted to assistant coach before the 2004-05 season.

"I’ve enjoyed every moment of my 16 seasons at the University of Oklahoma," Thrailkill said. “I’ve had the fortune to work with Sherri Coale for over 20 years and my family and I are thankful for the opportunity she has given me to be a part of the Sooner Family. I want to say thank you to all of our players, past and present, for their commitment to our program.”

Oklahoma says a search to fill both positions will begin immediately.