OU football: Sooners receiver Mario Williams enters NCAA Transfer Portal

• 0
Mario Williams

Freshman wide receiver Mario Williams runs after having his helmet pulled off during the Valero Alamo Bowl against No. 14 Oregon at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, on Dec. 29.

Freshman receiver Mario Williams has entered the NCAA Transfer Portal, he announced via Twitter on Tuesday.

The move comes after freshman quarterback Caleb Williams announced his decision to also enter the portal on Monday. 

“I don’t know what he is going to do yet but I want him to be my QB," Mario Williams told On3's Hayes Fawcett.

Williams recorded 35 catches for 380 yards and four touchdowns in 2021. The 5-foot-9 receiver's 35 receptions ranked second among Oklahoma players, and his 380 yards ranked fourth. 

The former four-star recruit per 247Sports' Composite rankings is the Sooners' third receiver to enter the portal this offseason, joining Jadon Haselwood and Theo Wease. Haselwood left for Arkansas, while Wease decided to return to Oklahoma following former coach Lincoln Riley's abrupt exit to Southern California. 

Williams originally chose the Sooners over the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Louisiana State and Michigan.

Assistant sports editor

Austin Curtright is a journalism junior and The Daily's assistant sports editor. He covers OU football and has previously covered OU men's basketball, softball and soccer.