OU football: Kyler Murray not worried about awards, wants to make most out of last few games

• 0
Kyler Murray

Redshirt junior quarterback Kyler Murray during the game against Kansas State Oct. 27.

Kyler Murray loves football.

Shocking, right?

The redshirt junior quarterback made that an emphasis during his media availability Monday night. He's not worried about the statistics or the awards, but instead, just playing the game he loves.

"It's not done, the job is not finished," Murray said. "But yes, to answer your question, it has been fun. I hadn't gotten to play football in a while, so for me, yes, it's been extremely fun. But like I said, the job is not done." 

Murray has been spectacular through eight games this season. He's thrown for 2,329 yards and 28 touchdowns, while also running for 474 yards and six touchdowns. He's second in the country in both completion percentage (.73) and passing efficiency (227.3). 

The Texas A&M transfer is also one of the frontrunners for the Heisman Trophy with Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa. And if Murray were to win the Heisman, Oklahoma would become the fourth school to have back-to-back winners that weren't the same person (USC, Army, Yale).

But Murray says he's not worried about any of that. He just wants to play.

"I don't know the stats on the back of my hand," Murray said. ""Me sitting the past two years has helped me a lot. Obviously sitting behind 'Bake' and just being with coach Riley more and more, has done wonders for me.

"I just try to go out there and play, honestly. I try to do what God blessed me to do, trust the game plan going in and just trust my guys that's really it."

Murray's opponent this week is a familiar foe: Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury. Murray said Monday he almost went to Texas Tech because of Kingsbury's style of coaching. 

"I actually almost went to Lubbock," Murray said. "Me and coach Kingsbury are pretty close. I was always a fan of him and what he can do. I know it's going to be a hostile environment ... I know what to expect. I think it'll be fun."

The Red Raiders are just the first test in a month filled with tough games for Oklahoma. The Sooners still have to face in-state rival Oklahoma State and a Kansas team that just upset TCU, and make a trip to Morgantown to face Will Grier and West Virginia.

But this is nothing new to Murray and Oklahoma. It's just "Championship November."

"Just because its happened in the past, doesn't mean it's going to happen now," Murray said. "We know the urgency of 'Championship November' and what it takes to push through this month. We also have the goals of winning a Big 12 Championship and making the playoff. That's the standard around here." 

George Stoia joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore and has covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past three years. He graduates in May 2020.