Oklahoma women's basketball: Gabbi Ortiz leads Sooners past UTSA

• 0
Gabbi Ortiz

Both teams struggled to shoot early in No. 17 Oklahoma's (9-1) blowout win over UTSA (2-4). The Sooners found their stroke in the second quarter, however, while UTSA couldn't make much happen in Norman.

Oklahoma won its eighth consecutive contest with a 80-41 win over the Roadrunners. OU was fueled by a key performance from sophomore Gabbi Ortiz and senior Kaylon Williams.

Key Stat: 11 three-point made attempts

Oklahoma felt it from the perimeter and Ortiz was the catalyst. She hit 6-of-9 from the three-point line. McKenna Treece added three made shots from the perimeter.

OU shot 53.8-percent from three in the second half, while the Roadrunners went 2-of-15 from three in the final two quarters. OU's scoring from beyond the arc blew the door open on the game and UTSA could not match OU's shooting.

Key Sooner: Gabbi Ortiz

The sophomore finished with a career-high 22 points and added four rebounds and three assists. She shot 70 percent from the field, hitting 6-of-9 from the perimeter. Ortiz hit a pair of three point attempts early in the second quarter to ignite OU's lopsided victory. She led all scorers in her big performance and played 28 minutes in the win.

What's Next: Oklahoma and Texas A&M will face each other in Oklahoma City for the Big 12/SEC Challenge on Dec. 20 at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The game begins at 4 p.m. on Fox Sports 1.

Joe Buettner is a journalism junior and contributing reporter for the Daily.