alert top story

Oklahoma football: President Boren says Big 12 expansion 'not a given'

• 0
The Board of Regents

Regent Jon R. Stuart, OU President David Boren and Regent A. Max Weitzenhoffer speak at the Board of Regents meeting in the Scholars Room Jan. 28. The Board will meet for the first time this school year Sept. 14 in Claremore, Oklahoma.

The Big 12 Board of Directors authorized conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby to explore potential expansion candidates on July 19, but OU president David Boren now says expansion isn't a certainty. 

"I would just caution you and say, 'I would not take expansion as a given'," Boren said at Wednesday's Board of Regents meeting. "I would not take expansion as a sure thing.

"I’m not saying there won't be expansion. But I’m not saying it can be automatically assumed that there will be expansion."

Bowlsby said in July that the conference would consider adding two or four members as early as the 2017 football season. He also said that the Big 12 Board of Directors could vote on expansion candidates at the conference's October meeting. 

Since the announcement was made, multiple universities have sent in applications and public declarations of interest in Big 12 membership. 

Reaction from fans and media members poured in after Boren declared Big 12 expansion wasn't a certainty.