Oklahoma football: Lincoln Riley, Bob Stoops react to Baker Mayfield being drafted No. 1 overall by Cleveland Browns

• 0
Stoops, Riley and Castiglione

Athletic director Joe Castiglione, former coach Bob Stoops and coach Lincoln Riley pose for a picture after the Big 12 Championship at AT&T Stadium Dec. 2, 2017.

Former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was selected as the No. 1 overall pick by the Cleveland Browns Thursday night, and his two former Sooner coaches couldn't have been prouder.

Lincoln Riley and Bob Stoops both attended Mayfield's watch party in Austin and had to say this about their quarterback:

Lincoln Riley

"It's an emotional night," Riley said. "Baker's been through a lot and this is a great night for him and for his family. You look at where he started and how he was overlooked a lot his life but continued to believe in himself, continued to fight. Having a front-row seat to his journey the last three years, it's really unbelievable. He's believed in himself the whole way, and that shows you how important that is."

"I think he'll do well," Riley said. "(The Browns) showed they really wanted him. They believed in him and they invested in him. They could have had anyone in America. I think if the Browns are as invested in him as we were at Oklahoma, he's going to return the favor by working his tail off. I think it's going to be a great fit. He's got the confidence and self-belief to go in there and do very well."

Bob Stoops

"Incredibly exciting," Stoops said. "This is what should have happened for him. He's the best player out there. What he did for us — just go back. The last three years have been magical. What he did in my last two years with the two Big 12 championships, the leadership, the toughness and everythinig else, I don't know that I've ever had anyone like him. He earned everything he got, and to finish his career the last two years by setting the NCAA pass efficiency record both seasons is just incredible. What an exceptional player and story. So happy for him."

"Selfishly, me being a guy from Youngstown, Ohio, and an hour from Cleveland, I can't wait for him to bring the Browns back and be the guy they've needed."

George Stoia joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore and has covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past three years. He graduates in May 2020.