Oklahoma football: Baker Mayfield was kicked out Chimy's in Lubbock

• 0
Baker Mayfield

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield walks to the stadium prior to OU's Sept. 5 match-up with Akron in Norman, Oklahoma.

The evening before OU played Texas Tech in 2014, Baker Mayfield sat down for dinner at Chimy’s in Lubbock, Texas.

Having played for the Red Raiders a season before, Mayfield ate with former teammates. As he finished his meal, he was approached by a restaurant worker and asked to leave.

“He told me I needed to leave and I asked him to give a good reason and he told me I just needed to leave,” Mayfield said. “I said, ‘Listen, I obviously don’t need any more problems in this city. I already have enough. I’m not very well-liked here.’”

Mayfield left under a shower of boos.

“I kind of just took my loss and walked out,” he said. “I didn’t need any extra problems.”

At Texas Tech, Mayfield became most likely the first walk-on quarterback to earn a starting job as a true freshman at an FBS school. He played in eight games for the Red Raiders before suffering an injury, earning Big 12 Freshman Offensive Player of the year honors.

But Mayfield announced his transfer after the regular season, citing a “miscommunication” with the coaching staff.

Mayfield’s transfer to Oklahoma in January 2014 — 11 months before he was kicked out of a Mexican restaurant — was not taken kindly in Lubbock. Because of conference and NCAA transfer rules, he sat out the entire 2014 season.

However, Texas Tech blocked Mayfield’s transfer to OU and he lost a year of eligibility.

After a failed appeals process, Mayfield is at the mercy of Texas Tech or the other eight Big 12 schools to reinstate the year he lost.

“You can pressure Texas Tech into signing off because it’s   about that time for them to realize it’s quite ridiculous that they didn’t pay for any of my school and they’re able to take a year of my eligibility away,” he said. “It’s either up to them to get pressured and realize that’s a big mistake or we can go through the Big 12 schools, which I don’t think is going to work, just because they have to vote off on it. I don’t believe that’s the best way to go about it.”

Mayfield said he doesn’t have a problem with all transfer rules, however. If he were on scholarship at Texas Tech, he would understand his in-conference transfer being blocked.

“I think it’s good that they don’t let everybody just kind of flip-flop in the middle of the conference,” Mayfield said. “But I do think that the sitting out is a little over the top. At least give the guys their year back. Just use it as their redshirt year if they haven’t redshirted.”