featured top story

Oklahoma football: Baker Mayfield denied extra year of eligibility

• 0
Baker Mayfield

Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield runs the ball for a first down during the Bedlam game at Boone Pickens Stadium on Nov. 28. The Sooners defeated the Cowboys 58-23 to win the Big 12 Championship.

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield was denied a final year of eligibility by the Big 12 Conference's faculty representatives, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby announced Wednesday evening. 

The vote, which needed a majority to pass, failed with a 5-5 split. 

Mayfield lost a year of eligibility after transferring from Texas Tech following his freshman season. Despite walking-on in Lubbock, the Sooners' quarterback lost a year of eligibility when he transferred. 

The Big 12's faculty representatives had a chance to change the rule, exempting walk-ons from the policy. In that event, Mayfield would have been granted his final year of eligibility. 

"There was some apprehension that any walk-on at any one of our schools could be recruited to another school by way of scholarship," Bowlsby said at the Big 12 President's meetings in Irving, Texas. "I think we need to be careful about unintended consequences."

Bowlsby acknowledged Mayfield will have an additional year of eligibility if he transfers out of the Big 12 following the 2016 season. 

Mayfield finished fourth in last year's Heisman voting during his junior season at Oklahoma. He threw for 3,700 yards and 36 touchdown passes, leading Oklahoma to the College Football Playoff semifinal.