Oklahoma City Thunder: New addition Randy Foye gives OKC flexibility

• 0
Kevin Durant

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant checks the scorebaord as he heads to the bench at the end of the third quarter of an NBA basketball game against the Denver Nuggets, Monday, Feb. 9, 2015, in Denver. The Thunder won 124-114. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

The Oklahoma City Thunder traded Steve Novak, D.J Augustin, and two second round draft picks to the Denver Nuggets to acquire guard Randy Foye Thursday, just hours before the NBA Trade Deadline.

Foye, who is in his 10th NBA season, averages six points per game, brings veteran NBA experience to a somewhat young thunder team. Thunder forward Nick Collison is the only player on the team with more experience, as Collison is in his 12th season.

The trade looks good on paper for the Thunder, as they will save an estimated 9.8 million dollars and gives them the flexibility of an extra roster spot.

“The roster spot clearly gives us some flexibility to survey other opportunities to improve,” Thunder GM Sam Presti said of the spot.

Foye will no doubt play as a reserve, but his experience could prove useful to the Thunder. Foye spoke to the media before tonight’s game, and noted he already has expectations on his role.

“I’ve got to fit in,” Foyle said. “I’ve just got to come in and do what I do.”

The Thunder have seemed to have already made a good first impression for someone who just got to the state last night.

“This is a first class organization. For me just walking into the practice facility today and seeing how everything was ran, the structure, like I said there’s a reason they are where they are,” Foye said was his first impression of the team.

Thunder head coach Billy Donovan told the media he has spent some time with Foye today, and he is happy with the trade and result.

Foye has playoff experience. He started in 11 games, averaging 7.5 points, 2 rebounds, and 1.5 assists in 26 minutes.

Foye noted not only are the Thunder a first class organization, but they are also a team that wins.

“I was shocked when it first happened. Just the shock factor. But once I sat downstairs while the Nuggets went upstairs to start practicing, I was like, I’m about to be on a team that could win it all, or have the goals to win it all. I just sat there for a minute and let it sink in and said to myself that I’ve got to do whatever it takes to be ready”, said Foye.

Foye was active for Friday night’s loss against the Pacers, but didn’t play. 

Jordan Overton is a meteorology junior and student meteorologist at The Daily.