Oklahoma City Thunder: Kevin Durant to sign with the Golden State Warriors

• 0
Kevin Durant

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Kevin Durant (35) dunks in the first quarter of Game 6 of a second-round NBA basketball playoff series against the San Antonio Spurs in Oklahoma City, Thursday, May 12, 2016.

Kevin Durant will sign with the Golden State Warriors after eight years with the Oklahoma City Thunder, the former MVP announced on The Players' Tribune. 

"This has been by far the most challenging few weeks in my professional life," Durant said in the letter. "I understood cognitively that I was facing a crossroads in my evolution as a player and as a man, and that it came with exceptionally difficult choices. What I didn’t truly understand, however, was the range of emotions I would feel during this process."

Durant helped bring the franchise to new heights during his tenure. He reached the Western Conference Finals in four of the last six years, including an NBA Finals appearance in 2011.

Durant's peak came in 2014 when he was named MVP of the league. His "You're the real MVP speech" is widely regarded as one of the most important sports moments in the history of the state. 

"I’m from Washington, D.C. originally, but Oklahoma City truly raised me," Durant said in his letter. "It taught me so much about family as well as what it means to be a man. There are no words to express what the organization and the community mean to me, and what they will represent in my life and in my heart forever. The memories and friendships are something that go far beyond the game. Those invaluable relationships are what made this deliberation so challenging."

He joins a Warriors squad that went 739 last season and came up just short of winning a second straight NBA championship. 

He'll join Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and others as they try to unseat Cleveland next season. 

"It really pains me to know that I will disappoint so many people with this choice, but I believe I am doing what I feel is the right thing at this point in my life and my playing career," he added in the latter.