Oklahoma baseball: Thomas, Neuse power Sooners to victory over Central Arkansas

• 0
Sooner Dugout

The baseball team looks on during their Feb. 19 game against Northeastern. The Sooners lost by one run.

Oklahoma snapped its three game losing streak Tuesday with a 3-0 victory over the University of Central Arkansas in Norman.

The Sooners were led by freshman right hander Chris Andritsos, who had a strong midweek outing for the second week in a row. The Woodlands, Texas native tossed seven innings of one hit ball, striking out six and walking just one. Andritsos’ second career start lowered his ERA to .75.

Oklahoma’s offense was powered by the long ball. Shortstop Sheldon Neuse got things going when he sent his first home run of the season over the right field fence in the first inning. Right fielder Cody Thomas followed suit with his second blast of the season six innings later.

Thomas’ seventh inning jack was followed by another run that scored on a throwing error after a single by first baseman Alex Wise.

That was all the offense either team could muster Tuesday afternoon. Hunter Neal, UCA’s right handed starter, was solid for the Bears, allowing five hits and three runs over 6.1 innings.

Andritsos was followed by freshman right hander Connor Berry, who closed the game with two innings of shutout ball.

The win was much needed by the Sooners after their first road trip of the season turned into a series sweep by Sam Houston State. It could provide some momentum heading into a tough weekend slate at the Dodger Stadium Classic in Los Angeles, where OU will face Southern California, UCLA and Mississippi State this weekend.

Key Sooner

Freshman right handed pitcher Chris Andritsos was stellar for the Sooners over seven innings. The freshman made it back-to-back solid outings after throwing five innings of one hit, one run ball against Abilene Christian last week.

Key Stat

Seven innings from Andritsos allowed coach Pete Hughes to avoid asking much from his bullpen ahead of an important weekend series.

What’s Next

The Sooners head to Los Angeles, California to participate in the Dodger Stadium Classic. Oklahoma opens the weekend series against the University of Southern California Friday at 8 p.m.

Dillon Hollingsworth is a journalism senior and the assistant sports editor at the Daily.