Youth Climate Strike to rally at Oklahoma Capitol in support of Green New Deal, other climate change preventatives

• 1
Youth Climate Strike

Young activists from Oklahoma will rally at the Capitol as part of the Youth Climate Strike.

Youth from Oklahoma will rally at the Oklahoma Capitol to bring attention to climate change, along with others at capitols across the country.

The rally will take place March 15 from 5 to 6:30 p.m, and it is sponsored by the Oklahoma Chapter of the Sierra Club, the largest environmental organization in the nation, according to its website.

According to a Youth Climate Strike press release, the strike is a part of the National Youth Climate Strike to demand legislative action toward ending climate change and implementing the Green New Deal.

Young people across the state who are concerned about the impacts of climate change can attend the rally, where they will be able to participate in various activities and listen to guest speakers at the Capitol, according to the press release.

The United States Youth Climate Strike began when a young Swedish activist named Greta Thunberg decided to protest the Swedish parliament by instigating the first school strike for the climate issue, according to a press release.

According to the press release, the demands from the U.S. Youth Climate Strike are as follows:

1. A demand in greenhouse gas emission reduction in line with the October 2018 Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change special report on the impacts of global warming of 1.5 degrees Celsius

2. A demand that world leaders take significant action to ensure that global warming stays under 1.5 degrees Celsius

3. A demand that legislative action takes place to combat the “climate crisis,” including the implementation of the Green New Deal by U.S. legislators.