Two Native American women elected to US Congress in 2018 midterm elections

• 1
Deb Haaland and Sharice Davids

Newly-elected congresswomen Deb Haaland and Sharice Davids.

Two Native American women made history Nov. 6 when they were elected into U.S. Congress.

Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland became the first Native American women to be elected into Congress last night after the 2018 midterm elections. Haaland will hold a seat in New Mexico and Davids will hold a seat in Kansas.

“I think this is a historic moment, and I think that it is really inspiring,” said Heather Shotton, associate professor of the OU Department of Native American Studies. “And if we look at the slate of candidates, we have a large number of Native American women running for all levels of office, and it’s a shift we like to see.”

Shotten said it was an empowering moment in history for both her and her daughters as Native American women.  

“As a mom, it was a critical moment watching the results,” Shotten said. “To be able to watch that with both my daughters was really important. It was reflective for my daughters, and it was empowering.”

Amanda Douglas and Ashley McCray were two other Native American candidates who ran for office in Oklahoma but lost their respective races. Douglas ran for District 1 congressional seat, and McCray ran for Oklahoma corporation commissioner.