President David Boren releases full statement on Sigma Alpha Epsilon incident

• 8
Press Conference

"It's hard work building a family… but we're going to finish the task." President Boren holds a press conference to let people following the issue where the university stands on it and how the students involved with SAE will be dealt with.

OU President David Boren has updated his statement on the situation surrounding Sigma Alpha Epsilon from his Twitter account:

"To those who have misused their free speech in such a reprehensible way, I have a message for you. You are disgraceful. You have violated all that we sand for. You should not have the privilege of calling yourselves "Sooners". Real Sooners are not racist. Real Sooners are not bigots. Real Sooners believe in equal opportunity. Real Sooners treat all people with respect. Real Sooners love each other take care of each other like family members.

"Effective immediately, all ties and affiliations between this University and the local SAE chapter are hereby severed. I direct that the house be closed and that members will remove their personal belongings from the house by midnight tomorrow. Those needing to make special arrangements for positions shall contact the Dean of Students.

"All of us will redouble our efforts to create the strongest sense of family and community. We vow that we will be an example to the entire country of how to deal with this issue. There must be a zero tolerance for racism everywhere in our nation.

President Boren"

Boren has scheduled a press conference for 11a.m. in front of Evan's Hall.