OU students encouraged to write thank-you notes to local high school teachers

• 1
779 Results

Audience members give President David Boren a standing ovation after speech regarding State Question 779 Nov. 8. Students will be able to write thank-you notes to teachers from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 17.

OU students will have the chance to write thank-you notes to teachers following the failure of State Question 779 at an event Nov. 17.

The event will be from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Freeland Food Court of the Oklahoma Memorial Union. International studies senior Lucy Mahaffey said the goal is to write at least 420 thank-you notes for Norman-area high school teachers, and if there are some left, they will be delivered to other schools. 

Mahaffey said she planned the event after speaking with a friend about the outcome of the state questions. 

“One of my friends and I were talking, and no matter what side of the political spectrum you’re on, this election has been trying for the whole country,” Mahaffey said. “My friend said, 'Hey, what if we just write a few thank-you notes to our Norman North teachers?' And we said, 'Oh yeah, that’ll be super easy.'”

Mahaffey went on to send emails and create a Facebook page for the event to encourage students to come by and write a thank-you card. Mahaffey said her grandma, a retired teacher, baked cookies for the event as well.

“I think everybody has had that one teacher that impacted them, challenged them,” Mahaffey said. “So I think it takes five minutes. We’ll have my grandma's cookies, and we’re providing the thank-you notes.”

Emma Keith contributed to this report.

Kayla Branch is a journalism senior and The Daily's enterprise editor. Previously, she has been the editor-in-chief, a news editor and covered the student government as a reporter.