OU's Earth Month activities receive national recognition from environmental nonprofit

• 0
46th Anniversary of Earth Month

K. David Hambright, director of Environmental Studies, holds the Environmental Excellence Award April 7. OU was given the award for the 46th anniversary of Earth Month.

OU has received its first Environmental Excellence Award from the Earth Month Network, said David Hambright, an OU professor of biology and director of environmental studies.

OU received the award after reaching out to Earth Month Network to ask permission to use the Earth Month moniker for the environmental programs that were going to be held at OU, Hambright said. 

“I was trying to found my own Earth Month webpage, and the first Google hit was Earth Month Inc. I found out that it was a registered trademark for Earth Month Network," Hambright said. "I wrote them a letter saying 'Do you mind us using the name Earth Month,' and I explained to them the program. It turns out that this year, their focus was on increasing the celebration of Earth Month on university campuses.” 

Earth Month Inc. granted OU permission to use the Earth Month name to promote its environmental seminars, plans and events for the month. Earth Month Network was pleased with OU’s programs in celebration of Earth Month, Hambright said, which resulted in OU receiving a plaque for the Environmental Excellence award this week. 

As a result, Hambright said OU is now officially an Earth Month university. USA Today College also published an article placing OU as one of the top universities for highlighting environmental issues during Earth Month. Hambright said he hopes to maintain that status by continuing to get people talking about the environment. 

Earth Month has been officially designated to take place from March 22 to April 22, according to the OU College of Arts and Sciences website. The College of Arts and Sciences, College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences and Gallogly College of Engineering are just a few of the colleges and organizations responsible for providing support to all the Earth Month activities to be held during this time.

Check out a calendar of events for the rest of Earth Month here