OU President Boren expresses renewed support for DACA students

• 0
President David Boren

OU President David Boren speaks at the Board of Regents meeting Jan. 26. Boren expressed his support for undocumented students Sept. 5 with news of the rescinding of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

OU President David Boren expressed renewed support for DACA students Tuesday in a response to federal action to end the program.

Boren's Sept. 5 statement came in reaction to President Donald Trump's rescinding of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, an Obama-era executive action providing two-year deportation relief and work permits for eligible undocumented minors. 

"In my opinion, it would be un-American and grossly unfair to deprive these young people of the opportunity to continue to live in the United States, where they are making a significant contribution to this country," Boren said in the statement. 

As of spring 2017, OU was home to 75 undocumented students. Boren said in the statement that these students give back to their communities and to America, and deporting them "would be against everything America stands for."

"I fully support our Dreamer students," Boren said in the statement. "They work hard in pursuit of their education and have become members of the OU family. Many of them serve as outstanding student leaders on our campus." 

Boren's statement also echoed a Sept. 4 statement from Sen. James Lankford, R-Oklahoma, in which the senator said that while illegal immigration should have consequences, "we as Americans do not hold children legally accountable for the actions of their parents."

Boren previously publicly supported DACA when he signed a statement with other university leaders in December 2016 to advocate for the program and its expansion.

According to Boren's statement, OU DACA students can contact the Office of University Community for help or support.