OU mathematics, physics student Matthew Peters named 2018 Goldwater Scholar

• 2
Matthew Peters

OU mathematics and physics junior Matthew Peters. Peters is a recipient of the Goldwater Scholarship, a prestigious national award given to those who intend to pursue a research career in mathematics, the natural sciences or engineering. 

An OU mathematics and physics student has been recognized with a prestigious national scholarship.   

Matthew Peters, a mathematics and physics junior, won the 2018 Goldwater Scholarship to become OU's 53rd Goldwater Scholar since the competition began in 1991, according to a press release. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of intent to pursue a research career in the fields of mathematics, the natural sciences or engineering. 

“We are proud of Matthew for earning the prestigious Goldwater Scholarship,” OU President David Boren said in the release. “His achievement is another example of the tradition of excellence that defines the University of Oklahoma.”

Peters, who is from Purcell, Oklahoma, researches stars with circumstellar disks through OU's department of physics and astronomy. He has presented his work at the annual American Astronomical Society meeting. Peters has also worked on a solar cell project with professors at the Institute for Solar Energy Research in Hamelin, Germany, according to the release. 

After graduation, Peters plans to pursue a doctorate in propulsion or astrophysics and conduct research with NASA. This summer, he plans to contribute to the development of the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna space telescope at Goddard Space Flight Center, the release said. 

Peters was among 211 recipients of this year's scholarship, chosen out of a pool of 1,280 college sophomores and juniors from 455 institutions, according to the press release. Three OU students, including Kate Avery, Alex Hamilton and Eli Jergensen, were among the 281 honorable mentions for the award. 

Anna Bauman is an English senior and the Daily's news managing editor who has previously worked as assistant news managing editor, news editor and news reporter.