OU International Advisory Committee to host prom, bringing cultures together for American tradition

• 3
Students from around the world dress up for OU prom

An OU student organization will host an annual event to engage international students in an American tradition.

The international prom, hosted by the International Advisory Committee, is a free event that will be from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6, in the Molly Shi Boren Ballroom in the Oklahoma Memorial Union. Any OU student may attend the prom, which is semi-formal and will have a "Hollywood Night" theme, according to the event’s Facebook page

Carlos Rubio, industrial and systems engineering sophomore, said the purpose of the prom is to promote a new cultural experience for international students and engage American students with the international community.

“There is a growing population of international students who haven’t necessarily experienced prom,” Rubio said. “It’s a part of American culture, and it’s cool the international students get to experience it with the American students. What makes it international is everyone coming — including the American students — and all the cultures coming together for one thing.”