OU graduate, Norman native earns 2019 Marshall Scholarship

• 0
Lucy Mahaffey

Recent graduate Lucy Mahaffey. Mahaffey has been named a 2019 Marshall Scholar.

A recent OU graduate is the seventh OU student to receive a prestigious graduate study scholarship since it began more than 60 years ago.

Lucy Mahaffey has been named a 2019 Marshall Scholar, according to an OU Public Affairs press release. Mahaffey is from Norman and graduated in 2017 with a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary perspectives on slavery and exploitation.

Mahaffey plans to attend the University of Nottingham to earn a master’s degree in slavery and liberation, followed by studying at the University of Edinburgh to earn a master’s degree in comparative public policy. Up to 40 students receive the scholarship per year, and it will cover Mahaffey’s university fees, living expenses, books, research and daily travel grants, according to the release.

Following the conclusion of her studies, Mahaffey hopes to attend law school and launch an Oklahoma human trafficking resource center devoted to preventing labor trafficking, according to the release.

During her time at OU, Mahaffey was a 2016 OU Letzeiser Gold Medalist, was named Outstanding Senior in the College of International Studies in 2016, received the 2014 City of Norman Human Rights Award and won a $10,000 Davis Projects for Peace grant in 2013.

In addition to her academic pursuits, Mahaffey earned a private pilot license and was a member in both Women in Aviation International and Phi Beta Kappa, according to the release.

Previous Marshall Scholars from OU include James N. Thompson Jr., David Ross Boyd, who won the award in 1968 and received his doctoral degree in genetics at the University of Cambridge, and Jerod Coker, who won in 2013 and studied economics and development studies at the London School of Economics.

Sierra Rains-Moad is a senior journalism major at the University of Oklahoma and a news reporter for the OU Daily.