OU Gaylord College to host discussion on education policy, reform

• 420
Frederick Hess

A screenshot of Frederick Hess in an interview. Hess is a resident scholar and director of education policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute and will speak at OU April 3.

A scholar of education policy will offer reflections and advice about his field during a lecture and discussion on campus next week.   

Frederick Hess, resident scholar and director of education policy studies at the American Enterprise Institute, will speak from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. April 3 in the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation Auditorium in Gaylord Hall, room 1140, according to the event's flyer.

Deven Carlson, OU assistant professor in political science, said the discussion will focus on Hess’s forthcoming book, “Letters to a Young Education Reformer," which reflects on lessons learned in two decades of work in the field. Hess currently directs the education policy studies program at a think tank in Washington D.C., said Carlson.

Carlson said the event will include a brief lecture followed by a conversational question and answer period.

“(Hess) is interested in getting feedback and sharing thoughts with younger students ... who will soon have an opportunity to engage these types of issues if they’re interested,” Carlson said.

Some of the issues Hess will address include how to think about education reform, the role of expertise and data in education, and the limits of policy and working in the nation’s capital, Carlson said.

Carlson said the event will appeal to students who are interested in education and policy making.

“There’s a lot of competing ideas and thoughts about how to organize an education system, and I think this would be a good forum to at least hear about and raise and discuss some of the pluses and minuses of the various ideas,” Carlson said.

Carlson said this is a unique opportunity for students to hear from an experienced and respected leader in his field.

“The opportunity to hear someone who offers advice to policy makers, who sits in the room when major education policy is designed, that’s an opportunity that I think students should try to take advantage of when they can,” Carlson said.

Anna Bauman is an English senior and the Daily's news managing editor who has previously worked as assistant news managing editor, news editor and news reporter.