Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin sets medical marijuana vote for June 26 ballot

• 1
marijuana

Oklahomans for Health gathers signatures for medical marijuana legalization in Oklahoma in 2015. 

Oklahoma voters will decide on the legalization of medical marijuana in a June 26 vote, Gov. Mary Fallin announced today.

Fallin’s Jan. 4 executive proclamation will place State Question 788 on the June primary election ballot as opposed to the upcoming November general election ballot, according to a press release. After a  2016 petition from Oklahomans for Health, the state question  received 67,762 signatures of support from Oklahoma citizens, enough to warrant a statewide referendum.

“Backers of this proposal to legalize medical marijuana followed procedures and gathered the more than 66,000 required signatures to submit the issue to a vote of the people,” Fallin said in the press release. “I’m fulfilling my duty as governor to decide when that election will occur this year.”

The legislation, if passed, would allow Oklahoma doctors to recommend patients for a state-issued medical marijuana license, which would permit citizens 18 years and older to possess up to three ounces of marijuana, six mature plants and six seedlings, according to the release. Passage of State Question 788 would also allow Oklahomans to apply for commercial grower, processor, retailer and packager licenses, as well as set a seven percent tax on retail medical marijuana sales.